Unsafe Section of The Weardale Way Footpath

Unsafe Section of The Weardale Way Footpath

Grahame_Rose
South Bedburn Footpath No. 29 at  OS Grid Reference: NZ 11699 34527

Please be aware that a short section of footpath (No. 29) on the hillside leading from the steel footbridge across the River Wear too Monkfield Farm has deteriorated to a point where it could be dangerous to walk upon in wet and slippery weather conditions. It may be wise to avoid this route if walking during or after a period of wet weather.
I have made a report about its current condition to the Public Rights of Way Officer who looks after this section of the Weardale Way and have received very a positive response.

The following is an extract from the latest communication:
“As you know the location of the defects to this section of the path falls within the area circled in red on the attached map extract. You will have noticed that there is a significant amount of work required to bring it into reasonable condition and these involve reforming the steps, installing drainage, surfacing and repair to safety fencing including possible gabion baskets to resist scour. I have spoken to adjoining farmers and landowners and will need to make arrangements for temporary storage for materials and machinery to do the work. The cost is likely to be high and it may be that a separate bid for funds will need to be made.”

I shall monitor and continue seeking an urgent resolution to the repair footpath as it features heavily on the list of regular walks led by the walking groups in Weardale and beyond.

Posted by, Grahame Rose. mailto:grahame.rose@crookramblers.org