Navigation training

Mike Knipe
This is now available "in house" - consisting of two sessions - one X 3 hour session indoors and a longer session outdoors partially in darkness (!). It's FREE to members although they may have to spend some money on a map, a compass , a map case and a "proper" headlight.  We have two "victims" so far. Class membership is limited to four, so if you fancy finding obscure sheepfolds in the dark, or you want to know why the grid reference you just gave is 100 kilometres away from where it's supposed to be,  let me know. We will repeat the course for as many people who want it. We've not fixed dates yet because we want to work around people's availability at the moment. If there's more demand than expected, we'll fix some dates.

Re: Navigation training

bollingerbabe
Administrator
It sounds really good actually, although maybe a bit too advanced for me.

I can't find my way back to my car in Sainsbury's car park without the "FindMyCar" app on my watch.

Re: Navigation training

Mike Knipe
I get lost in small buildings.......

Re: Navigation training

Kath Wright
Count me in

Re: Navigation training

Steve
Alison and me too

Re: Navigation training

Steve Musgrove
Great fIrst session yesterday in crook
Very comprehensive notes produced by Mike
Learnt lots of new stuff so should never get lost again
The test will be session two next week dropped in Bollihope common in the dark with map, compass and torch
I’ll update if we survive

Re: Navigation training

Kath Wright
Enjoyed the well presented training and now repaired compass hopefully. Ready to go on Session 2.

Re: Navigation training

Steve Musgrove
Session 2 up on Bollihope
Made two schoolboy errors before meeting up
1. Didn’t check the weather forecast beforehand and it rained, then we had sleet and then snow and it was nithering
2. As a result of point one took my summer walking boots (I can almost hear everyone saying why) so hot soaked through
It was hard in fact very hard going
Set off 14.30 eventually got back to the card at 20.20pm
Very cold and wet
Did I learn anything... well yes don’t walk in the dark
I’m still drying off my two pairs of socks
Thanks to mike though for all the preparation